Race : Night Elf
Class : Hunter
Spec 1 : Survival
Spec 2 : Survival

WoW Armory
be.imba.hu
WoW Heroes

Please elaborate on your spec(s) if needed.:
Survival is currently the highest dps hunter spec. The next patch is bringing buffs to BM and MM and nerfs to Survival, so I will need to evaluate them when the time comes.

Were you in any prior guilds? If so, please tell us which guilds and why you left them.:
The last serious raid guild was on Whisperwind server during ICC. It was a pretty hardcore guild and after killing the lich king I decided to take a break from raiding (raided heavily for most of wrath) for the rest of the expansion, and just focus on pvp.

Tell us about your raid experience. Focus on Cata raiding, but add pre-Cata experience where you think it might illustrate your abilities.:
I started raiding in the Molten Core days of vanilla. I've kept myself at a fair-very good level of progression for all of the expansions starting in BC. To elaborate a bit, because I do feel that past raiding experience is relevant.

-Gruul/Magtheridon all downed when they were "serious bizness"
-SSC cleared while it still required an attunement (I still have the bow I got from Vashj in my bank as a memory)
-TK cleared while it was still required in order to enter mount Hyjal (Vashj and Kael's vials were required)
-Mount Hyjal cleared while it was still progression (although only the final encounter posed a real challenge to most raids)
-Black Temple cleared while it was still progression, and while it still required attunement to enter (I still have Illidan's bow I got from my first kill as a trophy in my bank)
-Naxx was a joke, Sartharion +3 cleared while it was actually hard
-Ulduar cleared with some hardmodes while it was progression (I wasnt in as hardcore of a guid as I had been during BC at this point)
-Tribute to Insanity (10) cleared before ICC was released, also "He Feeds on your Tears" (10) achieved (Algalon with no deaths for that lockout)
-I joined a more hardcore guild for the beginning if ICC, achieving server first lich king 25 man kill (Whisperwind server, +5% damage buff active)
-I did not pursue hardmodes in ICC, but rather quit raiding for a break from the 4 day a week schedule to focus on pvp for the remainder of the expansion, achieving "arena master" in ~1/3rd tail end of season 8.

Now for cataclysm I've decided to get back into raiding, I joined "Electus Pauci" but the skill level and reliable connections are not where they should be. Defeated Magmaw and Omnitron Defense system, but I was not impressed with our Chimaron/Artemedies/Maloraik attempts. It's frustrating when you are far ahead of most of your fellow raiders skill level.

Please describe your role in a raid setting. Why is your class/spec important?:
Hunters are primarily dps, but we have some great utility as well, such as offensive dispel (tranq shot), traps, misdirect, etc. My role can change from fight to fight, but some examples of specific roles I have taken:

-frost trap (spec'd into entrapment) to root and slow down the adds on magmaw
-tranq shot the healing buff Maloraik gives himself
-I use disengage a lot to move around, its one of those abilities that has a very high skill cap (its one thing to use it, another to be precise and natural with it)

Hunters are important not only because we are currently the highest dps in the game (nerfs inc), but our pets are a wildcard for providing buffs/debuffs that may be missing in your raid group.

Tell us a little bit about your play style. Rotation, talent point explanation, choice of glyphs, etc.:
I like to push my dps, and figure out ways to deal with fight mechanics without losing too much dps. One great way we can do this now is with aspect of the fox. For example, I found myself constantly aspect swapping on the blind dragon to keep dpsing on the move. My talent choices are fairly limited, the 2 points in entrapment are swing points but I like being able to root adds with snake/frost trap (especially since we didnt have a warlock pet to tank the bugs on magmaw, it was damn near required). I could drop a point in serpent spread and put it in One with Nature, but its not a big difference really.

Why do you think you would be a good addition to Misguided?:
You guys seem to be able to kill bosses. I believe in researching/watching videos and coming prepared to boss fights, and I also believe that you shouldnt go backwards in progression on boss fights (get the boss to 40%, next 3 attempts wipe at 80%).

If you would like to, tell us a little about yourself so we may get a better idea of the person behind the character.:
I'm a 24 year old living in Ontario, Canada. I have a full time job that has consistent hours, so I will always know my schedule ahead of time.

Please link to a screen shot of your UI & keybindings.:
I use the basic default wow interface with just a few addons like omen, recount, dbm, msbt,. If you really really want a screenshot I can give you one but trust me everything is keybound and i know what I'm doing.

Please link a WoL parse for us to review, if you do not have one, your application may take a little longer.:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m3oo7cx9gdlqq503/sum/damageDone/?s=7855&e=8304

This application does not email you with responses to your application, if you understand this, and still wish to apply, then please click the "Yes" option. :
Yes

Application Availability Info:
Sunday -> Always
Monday -> Always
Tuesday -> Always
Wednesday -> Always
Thursday -> Always
Friday -> Always
Saturday -> Always
Baihu

re: APPROVED - App: Bowaflex - by Astuur

Hey thanks for your application!

We looked over the logs you linked and we have some concerns about your speed in switching targets quickly on Omnotron, we saw several instances where several abilities in a row were used on the boss with the shield, to the point of exploding their shields which is usually a wipe scenario with 346ilevel healers. We also see you got hit by Massive Crash on Magmaw.

Obviously raid awareness is very important with the difficulty level of the content, especially unforgiving fights like Cho'Gall & Nefarion, and we need to know DPS can sustain high damage while also paying attention to fight mechanics. Ranged DPS have the easier job in a raid in almost every instance, so we take mistakes like that rather seriously.

Is there anything you would like to say in defense of those observations? Your damage looks good in most of the WoL reports I found with you in them, but we'd have to be comfortable with your awareness for this application to move forward!

Thanks! =)

Hey man,

Resident hunter officer here. Most of your hunterism (that's a word) checks out mechanically, but I did have a a couple questions that I just wanted clarification on. First, why the Agi/Mastery gem and the reforging to mastery? Could you explain your stat strategy for gems and reforging?

Second, do you find yourself using arcane shot often enough in a raid to warrant glyphing it over glyphing Serpent Sting?

Thanks in advance,
-Inune

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Bowaflex

Quote:
We looked over the logs you linked and we have some concerns about your speed in switching targets quickly on Omnotron, we saw several instances where several abilities in a row were used on the boss with the shield

I hadn't done a whole lot of research on this fight beforehand, since I wasn't actually even supposed to be raiding this week, I was assigned to their 2nd raid group (which hasnt started yet) upon joining the guild, but their main group being melee heavy switched me in for magmaw, and by thursday I was basically part of that group. If I know I'm raiding a certain day I'm always well read on the encounters I'm going to be facing. I'm not sure if our actual kill of Omnotron was in those logs, but I assure you by the time we got him down I was not lagging on the swap to the newly activated add (or the poison spawns for that matter).

Quote:
We also see you got hit by Massive Crash on Magmaw.

By Massive Crash I'm assuming you mean Pillar of Flame. Hunters actually have a get out of jail free card for this ability, since most of the damage is from the fall damage, and the fact that we land in the midst of the parasites. However, we can disengage midair (which I did) to avoid both fall damage or contact with the adds. Now obviously I would still try to avoid the pillar of flame (which was the case nearly every time), but if I had to lay down a last second trap or finish that cobra shot cast to ensure enough focus for a multishot I knew it wasnt a big deal if I got caught.

Quote:
First, why the Agi/Mastery gem and the reforging to mastery? Could you explain your stat strategy for gems and reforging?

I knew this question was coming. I'm at 15.05 Mastery, with a total of 1264 mastery rating. Now if I was at 1244 mastery rating, that would take me below 15 Mastery, somewhere around 14.95 or so. Each point of mastery corresponds to 1% extra elemental damage. 14.95 mastery = 14% increased elemental damage. It always rounds down. Therefore we must balance our mastery to be just above the percantage we wish to sit at, in order to not have wasted stats sitting on our gear giving us no bonus.

As for my haste rating, hunters require a 1.67 second cobra shot cast in order to fit exactly 3 cobra shots in between explosive shots, which is 757 haste rating. This is under perfect latency free conditions however, and I have hasted my cobra shot down to 1.65 second cast in order to account for my latency. So with my targets of 15% extra elemental damage and a 1.65 second cast cobra shot, I have balanced my gear to make it happen.

Quote:
Second, do you find yourself using arcane shot often enough in a raid to warrant glyphing it over glyphing Serpent Sting?

Absolutely. Heroism and rapid fire (or roar of recovery if using a cunning pet)provide a lot of extra focus which warrants the use of arcane shot to dump that extra focus. Even without those buffs, you should be able to squeeze out the occasional arcane shot without delaying explosive/black arrow. It is beneficial occasionally for small movements when you dont wanna swap to fox and explosive is on CD. It is used most lock n load procs for the tail end of the proc after you've spent your 2 free explosives. The bonus from serpent sting glyph is surpassed after only ~11 glyphed arcane shots cast on a 5 minute boss fight.
Inune
Officer

Bowaflex wrote:
I knew this question was coming. I'm at 15.05 Mastery, with a total of 1264 mastery rating. Now if I was at 1244 mastery rating, that would take me below 15 Mastery, somewhere around 14.95 or so. Each point of mastery corresponds to 1% extra elemental damage. 14.95 mastery = 14% increased elemental damage. It always rounds down. Therefore we must balance our mastery to be just above the percantage we wish to sit at, in order to not have wasted stats sitting on our gear giving us no bonus.

As for my haste rating, hunters require a 1.67 second cobra shot cast in order to fit exactly 3 cobra shots in between explosive shots, which is 757 haste rating. This is under perfect latency free conditions however, and I have hasted my cobra shot down to 1.65 second cast in order to account for my latency. So with my targets of 15% extra elemental damage and a 1.65 second cast cobra shot, I have balanced my gear to make it happen.

Okay, the haste thing makes sense, I hadn't checked your haste rating against the 3-cobra-shot plateau.

I'm not sure on mastery. I imported your hunter to femdwarf and messed with that mastery reforging and gemming and got a couple hundred DPS increase by not favoring mastery.

Regardless, you're clearly putting thought into your gear, which I suppose is the ultimate point.

Bowaflex wrote:
Absolutely. Heroism and rapid fire (or roar of recovery if using a cunning pet)provide a lot of extra focus which warrants the use of arcane shot to dump that extra focus. Even without those buffs, you should be able to squeeze out the occasional arcane shot without delaying explosive/black arrow. It is beneficial occasionally for small movements when you dont wanna swap to fox and explosive is on CD. It is used most lock n load procs for the tail end of the proc after you've spent your 2 free explosives. The bonus from serpent sting glyph is surpassed after only ~11 glyphed arcane shots cast on a 5 minute boss fight.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from, but I think I still side with Frostheim on the use of arcane shot (may change next patch with its buff), which would subsequently make me believe serpent sting is the more reliable choice in a non-idealized raid environment (where you don't necessarily have the focus management due to latency and what have you to squeeze out AS while keeping ES on CD). And AE fights, of course.

Again, though, a personal preference is a personal preference, I suppose; the important part is the thought behind it.

Bowaflex wrote:
By Massive Crash I'm assuming you mean Pillar of Flame.

I think she meant the damage done when Magmaw slams the ground after eating a tank.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle
Bowaflex

Quote:
I'm not sure on mastery. I imported your hunter to femdwarf and messed with that mastery reforging and gemming and got a couple hundred DPS increase by not favoring mastery.

With the exception of boots, I am only favoring mastery over haste (where I don't need that haste), crit is never reforged into mastery. My boots I did not reforge just to keep my mastery where I want it. I suppose that one gem could have 20 crit rather than 20 mastery, but splitting hairs like this will not yield any noticeable dps difference. Also femdwarf and other analyzers can not be taken as unfallible doctrine, especially at this point in the expansion where they are still relatively "new".

Quote:
Hmm, I can see where you're coming from, but I think I still side with Frostheim on the use of arcane shot (may change next patch with its buff), which would subsequently make me believe serpent sting is the more reliable choice in a non-idealized raid environment (where you don't necessarily have the focus management due to latency and what have you to squeeze out AS while keeping ES on CD). And AE fights, of course.

After putting some more thought and reading into this glyph choice issue, I would definitely use SS glyph on any fight with adds, and on single target fights it really doesnt seem to make a huge difference either way, at least with current gear levels.

Quote:
I think she meant the damage done when Magmaw slams the ground after eating a tank.

Oh, I'm almost 100% sure I never got hit with that, would be just silly since the ranged really never have any reason to go up that close to the boss. Maybe if we called for a wipe, but I don't even recall killing myself in that manner, I usually try to FD.
Bowaflex

Well just to clarify, obviously world of logs doesnt lie, but I dont recall getting hit by that the 1 time it happened on our 3rd attempt.
Inune
Officer

Hey,

We've talked over your app some more and would like to invite you on vent for an interview. Would some time like 5 server on Monday work for you(I'll get the vent info PM'd to you)?

-Aristotle
Bowaflex

That time works for me, see you on monday
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Misguided Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum